Section A, Part 3
Building a Team
A team is more than a group of assembled people. It is a collection of individuals guided by a common purpose, striving for the same goals. Because each member makes a unique contribution, a team represents a powerhouse of potential. That’s why, with a good team, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
For a group of people to begin to develop into a team, it is important in the initial stages of group development that you be extremely careful to nurture positive group interactions. In order to do so, make sure that:
- Each contribution to the group is valued.
- Everyone listens attentively.
- Conflicts are handled without antagonism.
- One subject is discussed at a time.
- One person talks at a time.
- Decisions are made after a thorough discussion of all aspects of an issue.
- Everyone is encouraged to participate.
- Everyone is encouraged to compromise.
- Everyone is accepted, regardless of viewpoint.
Benefits of Team Building
Work on achieving a team approach if you’re interested in these benefits:
- Team members share a sense of purpose or common goals, and each team member is willing to work toward achieving these goals.
- A sense of togetherness is fostered.
- Productivity is heightened by encouraging an atmosphere of cooperation.
- The team identifies its own resources and problem solving is more effective because the talents of a variety of individuals are used, depending on the team’s needs.
- The team willingly accepts the influence and leadership of the members whose resources are relevant to the immediate task.
- Differences of opinion are encouraged and freely expressed. The team does not demand narrow conformity or adherence to formats that inhibit freedom of movement and expression.
- The team exerts energy toward problem solving rather than allowing it to be drained by interpersonal issues or competitive struggles.
- Roles are balanced and shared.
- Risk taking and creativity are encouraged by treating mistakes as sources of learning rather than reasons for punishment.