Change for the Better
Whether you’re a brand-new adviser or a veteran looking to spice things up, there are smart ways to enact change within your chapter or council:
- Develop an outline for the changes with specific, measurable goals.
- Use good, reliable sources (both human and material).
- Make a timetable for completion, including steps with formative assessment of progress.
- Evaluate the effort and have a structure in place for fine-tuning the changes.
Fundraising is only half the equation; managing the funds responsibly is the other half. Here’s how:
- Review school district guidelines. If none exist, establish procedures for handling money and inventory, and be sure to follow them.
- Involve students in outlining the budget for the organization.
- Do sufficient research to determine where and how the money would be best spent.
- Give students a say in how funds are raised and spent.
John Crawford, NHS adviser at Forest High School in Ocala, FL, shared the amazing story of how his school worked to heal itself after a traumatic event. Healing can come by:
- Soliciting feedback from all student leaders to process and form a plan
- Making your message positive, not political
- Reaching out to nonmembers and the community for their input
- Making sure students feel supported the day after the event and setting aside some time for healing
- Checking on those who may still be hurting even after the majority of the student body seems to have recovered
Reach Global Goals
Kristine Sturgeon, founder and CEO of InnerView, shared the 17 UN Global Goals and some great ways to achieve them. The goals are:
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, innovation, and infrastructure
- Reduced inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals