Here is a step-by-step guide as you prepare to pursue designation as a National Student Council Distinguished Student Leader.
STEP 1: Become familiar with the application requirements, including the following:
- You will need to confirm that your school is currently affiliated with National Student Council. (Check with your adviser or principal. If not, suggest they visit our Membership link.)
- Your student council adviser must sign off on your completion of required activities.
- You will need two letters of recommendation: one from your adviser and one from your principal.
- You will be required to prepare and submit a comprehensive portfolio of your activities.
- You will need to write a 750- to 1,000-word essay on your personal philosophy of leadership.
STEP 2: Learn the activities you will undertake by familiarizing yourself with building your portfolio.
The portfolio must be organized and labeled according to specified guidelines. You have three options for submitting your portfolio:
- hard copy form by mail
- saved electronically on a flash drive and mailed
- saved electronically and shared via a link to a Google folder
Electronic submissions via flash drive or shared Google folder will require scanning and saving of various documents and worksheets throughout the process.